Skip links and keyboard navigation

Australian Estates No.1 Store

  • 600321
  • 50 Macquarie Street, Teneriffe

General

Classification
State Heritage
Register status
Entered
Date entered
21 October 1992
Type
Retail, wholesale, services: Warehouse
Themes
3.8 Developing secondary and tertiary industries: Marketing, retailing and service industries
5.3 Moving goods, people and information: Using rail
5.4 Moving goods, people and information: Using shipping
Architect
Stanley, Montague
Builder
Stuart Bros (Sydney)
Construction period
1926–1927, Australian Estates No.1 Store (1926c - 1927)
Historical period
1919–1930s Interwar period
Style
Italianate

Location

Address
50 Macquarie Street, Teneriffe
LGA
Brisbane City Council
Coordinates
-27.46031032, 153.04970662

Map

Street view

Photography is provided by Google Street View and may include third-party images. Images show the vicinity of the heritage place which may not be visible.

Request a boundary map

A printable boundary map report can be emailed to you.

Significance

Criterion AThe place is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of Queensland’s history.

The Australian Estates No 1 woolstore is most significant in its own right and for its heritage contribution to the Teneriffe precinct. It reflects important developments, technological features and marketing procedures in Queensland's wool industry since the 1920s as well as the history of quayage along the Brisbane River and of the pastoral companies concerned.

Criterion BThe place demonstrates rare, uncommon or endangered aspects of Queensland’s cultural heritage.

(Criterion under review)

Criterion DThe place is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class of cultural places.

In form and fabric, this structure is an excellent example of the broad class of brick and timber woolstores which were built in Australian ports, including Teneriffe, to serve the wool industry.

In company with two other woolstores of similar vintage (600319, 600322), it illustrates particularly well the 1920s stage of development in an industrial process which is now redundant.

Criterion EThe place is important because of its aesthetic significance.

This Interwar structure also has considerable visual impact due to its substantial form, cohesive design and Renaissance detail, particularly the decorative parapet, frontal colonnade and covered railway siding.

Criterion FThe place is important in demonstrating a high degree of creative or technical achievement at a particular period.

Its special combination of function and style was achieved by MT Stanley, who was a fellow of the Queensland Institute of Architects by 1900 and the son of FDG Stanley. He was also architect for the adjacent Elder Smith Woolstore (600322).

Criterion GThe place has a strong or special association with a particular community or cultural group for social, cultural or spiritual reasons.

That this woolstore, with its links to important pastoral companies and royal occasions, is a valued asset and a riverside landmark, has been recognised by its inclusion in the Teneriffe Development Plan.

History

Part of the site (lot 3) of the Australian Estates No 1 woolstore was purchased originally in 1847 by the Government Resident, Captain John Clements Wickham. The property passed through the hands of several important companies, namely the Brisbane Stevedoring & Wool Dumping Co. Ltd by 1907, Moreheads Ltd in 1914 and the Union Trustee Co. of Australia until 1961, when it was acquired by Australian Estates.

The other part (lot 4) was purchased by the Financial Guarantee & Agency Co. of Queensland in 1888, and acquired by the Australian Estate & Mortgage Co. by 1926. The design was by Montague Talbot Stanley, a Queensland architect and structural engineer, with the construction by the Stuart Bros of Sydney.

When officially opened in 1927 by the Duke and Duchess of York, this woolstore had the largest showroom in Australia, being capable of displaying 24,000 bales. For this reason it was the venue for the vice-regal Ball in honour of the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester in 1934. In 1978 the property was acquired by Service Nominees (Qld) Pty Ltd, which belongs to the Mayfairs group of companies, and leased in 1980 to Chevron Discount Furnishers for bulk storage and furniture display.

It is now part of the Wool Store furniture complex in conjunction with the adjacent Elder Smith building (QHR 600322) and Australian Estates No 2 (QHR 600320). This property is zoned in the Brisbane City Council's Teneriffe Development Plan (1986) for residential or continuation of current usage.

Description

Australian Estates Co. Ltd No 1 Woolstore with 4.5 acres (1.98 hectares) of floor space is the largest single store in the Teneriffe precinct. It is a three-storey brick and timber structure of the Interwar era with restrained Renaissance detail. In keeping with other woolstores and commercial buildings of this period, a tripartite division of base, shaft and entablature is apparent in its functional form.

Its red brick piers and triple window openings separated by downpipes provide a strong degree of verticality. Nevertheless the dominant emphasis above and below the upper floors is horizontal. This is achieved by means of a cornice line surmounted by a rendered frieze displaying the company name and 'erected 1926', and a parapet of decorative brickwork. A prominent string course separates upper levels from the ground floor. However, the base of this building is distinguished more by its piers and openings which provide a covered way for the railway line and loading bays beneath a wide frontal projection. Its angular appearance is ameliorated by a curved and columned entrance porch and balcony which protrude from the southern corner.

As usual for woolstores in Teneriffe, the ground floor is concreted, while the upper floors employ timber posts, beams and flooring and the roof of this building is of corrugated asbestos and reinforced glass. To ensure sufficient level ground for the construction of this store, extensive excavations were carried out and a 64 feet (19.5 metres) high retaining wall of reinforced concrete constructed. Rather than a rear awning for road transport, there is a tunnel running under through the width of the building reducing the ground floor area by 20,000 square feet (1,800 square metres). Inside the front entrance are a passenger elevator and timber stairs providing access to other floors. The second floor includes the usual woolstore offices and client facilities constructed of tongue and groove timber surmounted by opaque glass panels. The showroom on the top floor has square vents with timber louvers beneath the windows, and the customary sawtooth roof which is supported by three rows of tubular metal columns and is aligned from east to west for optimum lighting. Fire protection was provided from the beginning by a complete system of fire alarms. Overhead walkways from Level 2 form a link to the Australian Estates No 2 woolstore on the south (600320) and Elder Smith on the north (600322).

Image gallery

Location

Location of Australian Estates No.1 Store within Queensland
Licence
Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last updated
20 January 2016
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.