Skip links and keyboard navigation

Pine Rivers Shire Hall (former)

  • 600768
  • 238 Gympie Road, Strathpine


Also known as
Pine Shire Hall; Pine Rivers Shire Hall; Pine Divisional Board Hall
State Heritage
Register status
Date entered
21 October 1992
Government administration: Hall—town / city / shire / divisional board
7.4 Maintaining order: Local government
Macklewright, L
Construction periods
1889–1935, Pine Rivers Shire Hall (former) (1889 - 1935)
1889–1935, Pine Rivers Shire Hall (Former) - Shire Hall (1889 - 1935)
1921, Pine Rivers Shire Hall (Former) - Honour board (1921c - 1921c)
Historical period
1870s–1890s Late 19th century


238 Gympie Road, Strathpine
Moreton Bay Regional Council
-27.30955156, 152.99007608


Street view

Photography is provided by Google Street View and may include third-party images. Images show the vicinity of the heritage place which may not be visible.

Request a boundary map

A printable boundary map report can be emailed to you.


Criterion AThe place is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of Queensland’s history.

With the associated council buildings demonstrates the growth of the Pine Rivers Shire Council from 1888 to the present day.

Criterion DThe place is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class of cultural places.

An example of a late 1880s local government building.

Criterion EThe place is important because of its aesthetic significance.

Its aesthetic value and streetscape contribution as part of the Pine River Shire Council group of buildings.

Criterion GThe place has a strong or special association with a particular community or cultural group for social, cultural or spiritual reasons.

Its important role in the community life of Pine Shire residents.

Criterion HThe place has a special association with the life or work of a particular person, group or organisation of importance in Queensland’s history.

With the associated council buildings demonstrates the growth of the Pine Rivers Shire Council from 1888 to the present day.


The rectangular first stage of this single-storeyed timber shire hall was built in 1889 and there have been three main extensions.

The Pine Rivers area was opened up for selection during the 1860s. Settlers moved in, villages began to develop and the railway reached Strathpine in 1887. The Pine Rivers area was part of the Caboolture Divisional Board until 1888 when the Pine Divisional Board was gazetted.

Early in 1889 the board called for tenders for a building 45 by 25 feet (13 by 7.5 metres) and L Macklewright's tender for £229/18/6 was accepted.

The hall was used for division business and as a venue for social activities and by church groups. The first extension was the front extension, probably during the early 1890s.

As a result of the Local Government Act of 1902 the Board changed their name to the Pine Shire Council. In 1905 a skillion roofed office at the rear of the hall was constructed. The Strathpine Patriotic League, in 1921, commissioned an honour board to be hung in the hall. In 1924 the end wall was lined to better display the war memorial and photographs.

During 1932 there were two additions made to the hall along the southern elevation; an office 20 by 25 feet (6.096 by 7.62 metres) and a glassed in side verandah about 36 by 14 feet (10.97 by 4.27 metres). The strong room was added to the 1932 additions about 1935.

During the Second World War the hall was used by the US Army as a recreational hall. Afterwards the hall continued to be well patronised as a social and recreational venue. In the early 1950s the hall was leased to A Charles Spencer as a picture theatre.

In 1959 the Pine Shire became the Pine Rivers Shire Council and in 1960 they moved into the new brick Shire Office built beside the Shire Hall.

During the 1960s the hall and side verandah were used for the councils building and engineering sections. A door was cut into the northern elevation to provide access to the engineers section. The front office was rented as a real estate office, and office space was provided for a visiting bank officer and doctor.

The office in 1970s was the site of the first shire library. By 1978-79 the site was vacated by council officers and it was in a very dilapidated condition. It was refurbished during the 1980s and was leased in July 1985 to a theatre group.

With the growth of the shire extra accommodation was required. A new Civic Centre was opened in 1974 and an Administration building in 1978. In 1986 the councils expanded office staff, required the re-use of the 1959 shire offices, and the building is now the health offices.


This single-storeyed chamferboard building with a corrugated iron gabled roof is located fronting Gympie Road and is part of a group of Pine Shire Council buildings. The building sits on timber stumps with batten infill panels to the perimeter. The roof over the hall features four metal ridge ventilators and a single lancet shaped vent to the front and rear gables.

The street elevation has a verandah with a corrugated iron roof and cross braced timber balustrades. The building is painted to indicate the two major stages of construction with different decorative timber work to the verandah and two entrance stairs. The entrance doors to the hall are timber panelled with a fanlight but are not used in the current layout.

At the rear of the L-shaped building is an attached dressing room with a corrugated iron skillion roof, single skin chamferboard walls and pine board raked ceiling.

The hall has a flat boarded ceiling which is raked on either side and features circular fretwork vents. The walls are lined with fibrous cement sheets with timber cover strips and the multi-paned windows pivot horizontally at the centre. The room has raised freestanding seating at the street end and a raised stage opposite, with lighting and curtains hung from the ceiling by metal supports.

On the southern side is a child-care room with a corrugated iron skillion roof. The original windows to the hall have been enclosed and the external walls of weatherboard and vertically jointed boards have been lined with fibrous cement sheets. A rear porch and stairs are attached to the southwest.

On the southern side, at the rear of the office, is a concrete strongroom with a steel door. The office has been partitioned with a kitchen and storeroom. The walls have a dado with vertically jointed boards below and pine plywood panelling above to the picture rail. The ceiling and upper walls are lined with fibrous cement sheets with timber cover strips and the casement windows have pressed metal sunhoods on the southeast.

Image gallery


Location of Pine Rivers Shire Hall (former) within Queensland
Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last updated
20 January 2016
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.