Skip links and keyboard navigation

Special Glass Co. Shop

32 Cedar, Yungaburra

Add to favourites

Special Glass Co. Shop (2013); Heritage Branch

Special Glass Co. Shop (2013)

This shop is thought to have been built at the same time as the adjacent one at No 32 Cedar Street, most likely around 1912 by the Williams family. They owned the Lake Eacham Hotel and numerous other businesses in town. Earliest known use of the building was for a dressmaker. In 1954, the property was subdivided so that each shop was on a separate title. It was then acquired by William Madrid, a long term employee of the Williams’. The Madrid’s occupied the shop as a residence. It had a door into an addition on the right hand side from which Mrs Madrid ran a hair-dressing business. The property changed hands in 1995 and subsequent owners installed the windows to facilitate re-use as a shop. The shop functioned as a TAB agency in the 1990s.

Featured in this trail:

Coordinates: -17.27100687, 145.5825505

Full details of this heritage-registered place are in the Heritage register.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023