Skip links and keyboard navigation

7-9 Cedar Street, Yungaburra

7-9 Cedar Street, Yungaburra

Add to favourites

7-9 Cedar Street, Yungaburra (2015); Heritage Branch Staff

7-9 Cedar Street, Yungaburra (2015)

These two single-storeyed timber buildings were constructed c1920s as an office and cafe. The site on which the buildings are erected was first subdivided in 1911, but was not developed until acquired by local timber merchant Patrick McCloy in 1923. McCloy built at least one of the structures in 1923, operating as the Sunshine Café. The second building was likely built concurrently for use as his office. By 1924, a Miss McCloy was running the café, before it was offered for sale. It was leased by Mrs Fischer and in 1929 was transferred to local company; Estate HS Williams Ltd. The Sunshine Café was the social heart of Yungaburra in the 1920s and 30s, hosting social occasions and wedding receptions. By the mid – 30s when the Tivoli Theatre was up and running in the hall opposite, it was then known as the Tivoli Café. It functioned as the theatre box office, while providing meals and refreshments to patrons. The adjacent shop was converted into a residence during the 1940s, while the café continued to operate. The buildings have had a range of uses including retail and hospitality purposes as part of the heritage precinct in Cedar Street.

Featured in this trail:

Coordinates: -17.27073076, 145.582327

Full details of this heritage-registered place are in the Heritage register.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023