Skip links and keyboard navigation

St Agnes Rectory and Church

Ipswich Street, Esk

Add to favourites

St Agnes Rectory and Church (2009); EHP

St Agnes Rectory and Church (2009)

St Agnes Rectory and Church, showing entry gates (2008); EHP

St Agnes Rectory and Church, showing entry gates (2008)

Arriving in Esk from the south, you are greeted with churches of every denomination. The oldest church is the 1876 Presbyterian just south of the bridge, followed by the 1883 Methodist Church the 1884 Catholic Church and St Agnes’ Church of England. The Anglican Parish of Esk was created in 1886 with early church services conducted in the non-denominational Union Church (Presbyterian). The site for the new church and rectory was donated by Ellen Webb. The Diocesan architect John Buckeridge designed the church, built in 1889 by local sawmill owner Lars Andersen. The church features lancet windows, most of which contain leadlight glazing designed by William Bustard, except in the sanctuary, which features stained glass. The rectory, also designed by Buckeridge was built in 1902. Concurrently, a small Sunday School building was constructed, which was extended as a hall in 1908 and later modified. Shade trees were planted during 1903. The sandstone gate pillars were erected in honour of former parishioner and Brisbane Valley pioneer Francis Edward Bigge. They were designed and built by stonemason Andrew Petrie of Toowong in Brisbane. A bell and belltower were erected in 1953. In recent years the former rectory has become a popular restaurant.

Featured in this trail:

Coordinates: -27.24081327, 152.42282814

Full details of this heritage-registered place are in the Heritage register.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023