Skip links and keyboard navigation

Wodonga House (former)

Woolooga Road, Upper Widgee

Add to favourites

Wodonga House (former); Heritage Branch

Wodonga House (former)

Wodonga homestead, within the recreation grounds.; Heritage Branch

Wodonga homestead, within the recreation grounds.

Wodonga homestead veranda; Heritage Branch

Wodonga homestead veranda

Wodonga homestead; Heritage Branch

Wodonga homestead

Wodonga House, situated within the Widgee Hall and Recreation Association grounds, is a reminder of the early settlement of the Gympie district. It was built around 1902 on land that had been part of a 640 acre property taken up by James Meakin in 1877 and named Wodonga Station. The Meakins gradually extended their land holdings and built their first homestead in 1880. In 1887, the property was transferred to Catherine Hillcoat, wife of the manager of the nearby Hope Crushing Battery of the Black Snake Mineral Field. The property was occupied by their son Harold, his wife and five children. They ran it as a dairy farm and initiated cheese making at the farm. The house linked to the original homestead’s kitchen. The house was extended over time, with the old homestead was eventually demolished. The family turned to beef cattle soon after. Percy Pointen, who married one of the Hillcoat daughters, then lived there. After his death, it was sold to the Wodonga Pastoral Company. The house became derelict in the 1960s, and was sold to the Widgee Historical Society and relocated to the Widgee Hall and Recreation Grounds. The house can be viewed by appointment.

Coordinates: -26.20221819, 152.43618213

Full details of this heritage-registered place are in the Heritage register.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023