Skip links and keyboard navigation

Forest Hill Hotel

38 William Street, Forest Hill

Add to favourites

The Forest Hill Hotel is one of those typical country hotels that beckon you to drop in. Built on a corner, diagonally opposite the railway station, it was established in 1898 as the Station Hotel, with James Campbell the first publican. The establishment of the little town of Forest Hill may be attributed to the Queensland government policy of subdividing the large grazing runs of the pre-separation era into smaller holdings for farmers. The original owner of the grazing run was A J Boyd, and when a railway siding was established here in 1886, it was known as Boyd’s siding. Boyd’s farm was named Forest Hill and ultimately it became the name of the settlement. Forest Hill’s prosperity was initially based on the production of chaff, hay, potatoes, maize and later dairying. The hotel has served this community and its visitors with only minimal alterations to ensure its services and facilities were within guidelines of the Licencing Commission.

Coordinates: -27.58943961, 152.35637846

Full details of this heritage-registered place are in the Heritage register.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023