Skip links and keyboard navigation

Exchange Hotel

134 - 138 Patrick Street, Laidley

Add to favourites

Exchange Hotel (2009); Heritage Branch staff

Exchange Hotel (2009)

This rustic Laidley country hotel was constructed in 1902 for Julius and Hansine Jocumsen. Laidley experienced a large burst of building activity at the beginning of the 20th century and almost doubled in size due to the increasing prosperity of the Lockyer Valley district. Many of the town’s earlier timber buildings were replaced with substantial brick buildings, including the 1876 Exchange Hotel. Hansine Jocumsen acquired the license to the property in 1898, and in November 1901, it was reported that Mr Jocumsen was planning to erect a large brick building on the site. In April 1902, architects Eaton & Bates called tenders for a two-storey brick hotel at Laidley. The building was completed by late November of the same year. The Royal Bank of Queensland occupied part of the ground floor of the hotel. In 1924, James King, acquired the property after his nearby Empire Hotel burnt down. It remained in his family until 1949. Following mergers of banking companies, the ground floor bank operated as the National Bank from 1922 until 1956. The hotel has subsequently changed hands many times. To the present day, the Exchange Hotel holds local landmark status and continues to operate as a country pub.

Coordinates: -27.63027725, 152.39446981

Full details of this heritage-registered place are in the Heritage register.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023