Skip links and keyboard navigation

Carbrook State School (former)

597-605 Beenleigh-Redland Bay Road, Carbrook

Add to favourites

Carbrook State School (former); Heritage Branch

Carbrook State School (former)

Carbrook State School (former); EHP

Carbrook State School (former)

Carbrook, located on the north bank of the Logan River, was originally named Gramzow by its German settlers, after a town in Germany of the same name. The Gramzow Provisional School opened in 1877 with 23 pupils. A teacher's residence, which no longer exists, opened in 1879. The school was designed by FGD Stanley. As this was a small community and there was no general store or railway station, a postal receiving office was established at the school, and the mail slot may still be seen in the front wall. An avenue of trees leading from the front gate to the school was planted in the 1890s as part of the ongoing Arbor Day observation. In 1916 the name of the school and the postal service were changed to Carbrook, as part of an overall Australian policy of removing German place names during WWI. The population of the area grew rapidly in the 1970s and 80s and a new site was chosen for an expanding school, due to the boggy nature of the 1877 site. The new school opened in 1987, and the old school was transferred to the Logan City Council in 1995 for community use.

Featured in this trail:

Coordinates: -27.67923264, 153.24236366

Full details of this heritage-registered place are in the Heritage register.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023