Skip links and keyboard navigation

School of Arts

427 Kent Street, Maryborough

Add to favourites

School of Arts 2016; Heritage Branch staff

School of Arts 2016

School of Arts building Maryborough 1930; Waser Family Collection SLQ

School of Arts building Maryborough 1930

School of Arts mezzanine library collection 2016; Heritage Branch staff

School of Arts mezzanine library collection 2016

This classically inspired two-storey 1888 School of Arts building has a commanding street presence on Kent Street. A design competition was held for the new building, and Melbourne and Adelaide- based architect John Grainger submitted the successful design. The building was constructed by local builders Jacob and John Rooney at a cost of 3500 pounds. In 1890, the Rooneys built a timber extension to the rear to accommodate the Maryborough Technical College. A veranda and ground floor loggia were added to the eastern side in 1896 and a lecture hall built in 1904. A balustrade mezzanine gallery was designed and built in 1907 to allow for the enlargement of the library’s book storage. The technical college relocated in 1910 and the rooms were subsequently used by community groups including the Queensland Country Women’s Association. During WWII, the building housed the Australian Comforts Fund and a RAAF servicemen’s club. After the war, the Post Master General’s Department relocated to the first floor and ABC Radio established a broadcast studio here. From 1958, the building housed the first Ringrose Library in Queensland, which initiated the state-wide circulation of library books. The building now houses the Maryborough Wide Bay Historical Society.

Featured in this trail:

Coordinates: -25.5373221, 152.7023435

Full details of this heritage-registered place are in the Heritage register.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023