Skip links and keyboard navigation

Maryborough Heritage Centre

164 Richmond Street, Maryborough

Add to favourites

Maryborough Heritage Centre 2015; Fraser Coast Regional Council

Maryborough Heritage Centre 2015

Bank of New South Wales in Maryborough ca. 1877.; State Library of Queensland

Bank of New South Wales in Maryborough ca. 1877.

Maryborough Heritage Centre 2009 ; Heritage Branch staff

Maryborough Heritage Centre 2009

This building began life in 1877 as the Bank of New South Wales. Tenders were called for its construction in January 1877 by the Manager George Ranken. No architect was mentioned in the tender, reflecting the bank’s preference for using its Sydney architect George Allan Mansfield. The bank appears to be similar in design to many others designed by Mansfield and it is likely that Brisbane architect James Cowlishaw supervised the construction in Maryborough. This building served the bank until 1956, when a new building was erected on the corner of Kent and Bazaar Streets. The Post Master General’s Department, (restructured and renamed Australia Post and Telecom from 1975), occupied the building until 1981, when the Queensland Government used it as a regional office of the National Parks and Wildlife Service. Since 1995, the building has been home to two local history research centres.

Featured in this trail:

Coordinates: -25.53847566, 152.70473193

Full details of this heritage-registered place are in the Heritage register.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023