Skip links and keyboard navigation

Shop, 134 Wharf Street, Maryborough

134 Wharf Street, Maryborough

Add to favourites

Shop 134 Wharf Street 2016; Heritage Branch staff

Shop 134 Wharf Street 2016

rear of 134 Wharf Street ; Heritage Branch

rear of 134 Wharf Street

Shop 134 Wharf Street 2016; Heritage Branch staff

Shop 134 Wharf Street 2016

This little shop in Wharf Street is a remnant of the early days of Maryborough. It was built in 1869 as one of two adjoining premises by Henry Palmer, one of Maryborough’s founding fathers. The shops were located directly opposite the town wharves, and were in a prime position to attract the attention of travellers arriving in the port. Local tailor Martin Braun relocated to one of these shops in December 1869. He died the following year and his business closed. The nature of the businesses that occupied the shop from 1870 until 1914 is unknown. From 1914, Henry Francis Walter Palmer, grandson of Henry Palmer based his architectural practice at 134 Wharf Street. Following training in Melbourne, he worked with local architect POE Hawkes from 1911 before setting up his own business. He occupied the shop until 1953 and regularly erroneously advertised that the shop had been established in 1867. From 1954 the building was owned by local photographer Donald Davies, until his death in 1969. Subsequent occupants have included a solicitor’s office, print shop and various retail businesses.

Featured in this trail:

Coordinates: -25.538208, 152.70437499

Full details of this heritage-registered place are in the Heritage register.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023