Skip links and keyboard navigation

Cleveland Lighthouse (former)

Shore Street North, Cleveland Point

Add to favourites

Cleveland Lighthouse (2014); Heritage Branch Staff

Cleveland Lighthouse (2014)

Cleveland Lighthouse (2014); Heritage Branch Staff

Cleveland Lighthouse (2014)

Cleveland Lighthouse (1921); SLQ

Cleveland Lighthouse (1921)

Cleveland Lighthouse (1871); William Boag

Cleveland Lighthouse (1871)

As you approach the end of Cleveland Point, the old 1860s lighthouse sits sentinel-like overlooking the bay. A number of navigation lights had been established here from 1852. The timber lighthouse is thought to have been completed around 1866. The light was then managed by Alf Winship, the post and telegraph officer. In 1874 the lens apparatus from the Comboyuro Point Lighthouse on Moreton Island was transferred to the Cleveland Lighthouse. From 1877, James Troy was the light-keeper who managed the light for almost 50 years until his death in December 1926, the longest serving light-keeper in Australia. In 1934, the light was connected to electricity. In 1975 a new lighthouse was installed on the point and the old one relocated about 80 metres to the south-west, overlooking Raby Bay. Some reconstruction was done at the time and the lens installed in the tower of the Redland City Council Chambers in Bloomfield Street Cleveland. A circular concrete pad on the point is a remnant of the filming of ‘Narnia – Voyage of the Dawn Trader’ by the Walden Media Group in 2009. The 1975 light was removed at this time.

Featured in this trail:

Coordinates: -27.5101884, 153.2890594

Full details of this heritage-registered place are in the Heritage register.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023