Skip links and keyboard navigation

223 Flinders Street, Townsville

221-223 Flinders Street, Townsville

Add to favourites

223 Flinders Street (2016); Heritage Branch Staff

223 Flinders Street (2016)

223 Flinders Street (2016); Paddy Waterson

223 Flinders Street (2016)

This two-storey masonry building was erected in 1885 for chemist William Clayton, who had acquired the site early that year. The building originally displayed the date 1885 in the pediment. Clayton regularly advertised his services in the newspaper and ran an advertisement with a drawing of the new shop from June 1885 until its completion in October 1885. Clayton sold the property in 1890, but continued to lease it. He became Mayor of Townsville at that time, and was a member of the Thuringowa Divisional Board, member of the Hospital and School of Arts Committees, Master Freemason and magistrate. In 1893, he filed a petition for liquidation and his business assets were offered for sale by Prosser, Taylor and Co, wholesale chemists in Brisbane. Prosser, Taylor and Co was also liquidated the following year. Nevertheless, Clayton appeared to resurrect his business with the help of his son at another site in Flinders Street. The original shop at 223 Flinders Street has housed numerous businesses over time including restaurants.

Coordinates: -19.25762225, 146.81896817

Full details of this heritage-registered place are in the Heritage register.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023