Skip links and keyboard navigation

Townsville Magistrates Court (former)

81 Sturt Street, Townsville

Add to favourites

The Townsville Magistrates Court was completed in August 1877 more than two years after the tender for its construction was accepted, following delays in procuring bricks. The building’s design has been attributed to the colonial architect FDG Stanley, and the Clerk of Works, architect Robert Ferguson supervised construction. Contractors were John and Jacob Rooney, who at that time were based in Maryborough. Their success in ventures such as the courthouse saw the business relocate to Townsville where the Rooneys became some of the best known designers and builders in Far North Queensland. The building was extended with a verandah on the western side in 1897 and in 1901 a strong room was built on the rear western side. The building functioned as a courthouse for almost 100 years, before new court facilities were built in Walker Street. Since that time the building has been used as a day care centre and museum.

Coordinates: -19.25828611, 146.8157379

Full details of this heritage-registered place are in the Heritage register.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023