Skip links and keyboard navigation

Telecasters North Queensland Ltd Building

The Strand, Townsville

Add to favourites

Telecaster's building (formerly Queens Hotel) (2016); Paddy Waterson

Telecaster's building (formerly Queens Hotel) (2016)

Telecaster's Building (formerly Queens Hotel) (2016); Paddy Waterson

Telecaster's Building (formerly Queens Hotel) (2016)

Queens Hotel (ca. 1905), (later Telecasters Building) State Library of Queensland; State Library of Queensland

Queens Hotel (ca. 1905), (later Telecasters Building) State Library of Queensland

The first Queens Hotel was built on this site on The Strand in 1872. It was extended along Wickham Street in the 1880s and quickly acquired a reputation as one of the best in Queensland. In 1901, the owner John Henry Tyack invited architects to submit designs for a new hotel. Messrs Eaton, Bates and Polin were successful and construction soon began on the first section of the new brick hotel along The Strand. Cyclone Leonta hit Townsville in March 1903 and caused extensive damage to the 1880s timber hotel, as well as to the roof of the new hotel. Rebuilding was undertaken in 1904 which retained some of the timber building. In 1925, the timber building was demolished during major additions and alterations. Local architect Walter Hunt designed the work which was executed by local contractor W H Turner. During WWII, the hotel was occupied as an American army officer’s mess. In 1966, Far Northern Theatres acquired the property and demolished several internal bays to create theatres. Then in 1977, it became home to Telecasters North Queensland Ltd who converted it into television and radio studios. Site redevelopment was announced in August 2015, with potential for the Queens Hotel to reopen.

Coordinates: -19.25610311, 146.82261587

Full details of this heritage-registered place are in the Heritage register.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023