Skip links and keyboard navigation

St George's Anglican Church

15 Cook Street, Eumundi

Add to favourites

St George's Anglican Church (2009); D Roe

St George's Anglican Church (2009)

Tucked away in a quiet suburban street of Eumundi, stands a small timber church building; now a private home. St George's Anglican Church opened in July 1912, when Eumundi was a bustling timber town. The land on which the church stands was originally purchased in 1877, for its timber resources. Eumundi developed rapidly after the railway arrived in 1891 and residents began fundraising for churches and other community facilities. The church was designed by its builder, Mr J Carbury. A stump-capping ceremony was held on St George's Day, 23 April 1912. The simple Gothic-influenced structure is clad externally with locally milled hardwood chamfer boards and internally with horizontal hoop pine. The silky oak altar was at the eastern end of the building, as was the tradition. Internally, the altar is framed by the gothic-style windows, glazed in coloured glass. A bell tower facing Cook Street originally housed a brass bell. A verandah was added to the northern side in the late 1990s. The building was repurposed as a private home around 2007. Please note - This is a private residence and is not publicly accessible.

Featured in this trail:

Coordinates: -26.4724632, 152.95097372

Full details of this heritage-registered place are in the Heritage register.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023