Skip links and keyboard navigation

Lamb Island Pioneer Hall

Lucas Drive, Lamb Island

Add to favourites

Lamb Island Pioneer Hall (2009); EHP

Lamb Island Pioneer Hall (2009)

Lamb Island Pioneer Hall (1994); Heritage Branch staff

Lamb Island Pioneer Hall (1994)

Lamb Island Pioneer Hall (2009); EHP

Lamb Island Pioneer Hall (2009)

A single timber cottage at the end of Hine Court on Lamb Island is a remnant of the early settlement of this southern Moreton Bay island. Russell, Karragarra, Lamb and Macleay Islands (RKLM) were all surveyed and occupied from the late 1860s. The RKLM islands are accessible by ferry from the Weinam Creek Marina at Redland Bay. The first owner of Lamb Island’s 263 acres was John Harris, who with his brother George (resident at Newstead House in Brisbane) had extensive business interests. Subsequent owners included Percy Burnett, son of Gilbert owner of the Wellington Point sawmills. The Burnett brothers procured timber here and Percy bred horses. Cecil Hine arrived on Lamb Island in 1916 to farm bananas and pineapples. In 1919 he purchased this allotment, married Amelia Cox in 1925, and built a two roomed house. Cecil and Amelia raised their family here until the late 1950s. In the 1970s the council assumed ownership, having been unofficially used as a public hall for some time. A public meeting at the house in 1976 saw the reformation of the Lamb Island Progress Association, which then repaired the building. It became known as the Pioneer Hall, officially opened in May 1978.

Featured in this trail:

Coordinates: -27.62457466, 153.38369128

Full details of this heritage-registered place are in the Heritage register.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023