Skip links and keyboard navigation

Cardwell Divisional Board Hall (former) and Honour Board

51 Victoria Street, Cardwell

Add to favourites

Cardwell Divisional Board Hall (2008); EHP

Cardwell Divisional Board Hall (2008)

Cardwell Hubinger Hall veranda (2008); EHP

Cardwell Hubinger Hall veranda (2008)

Cardwell Hubinger Hall - war memorial honour board (2008); EHP

Cardwell Hubinger Hall - war memorial honour board (2008)

Cardwell Hall after Cyclone Yasi (Feb 2011); EHP

Cardwell Hall after Cyclone Yasi (Feb 2011)

This former hall now operates as the JC Hubinger Museum and forms part of the Cardwell Bush Telegraph Heritage Centre. Cardwell was originally served by the Ingham based Hinchinbrook Divisional Board. In 1884, the Cardwell Division was formed and members met at the courthouse. A new hall was needed after the Cardwell courthouse was damaged in the cyclone of March 1890. The 1892 Divisional Board Hall was a multipurpose facility. It remained home for the renamed Cardwell Shire Council after 1903. In 1922, an honour board was erected in the hall, commemorating the WWI service of local residents. This large marble edifice was made by Townsville monumental masons Melrose and Fenwick and unveiled by Premier, EG Theodore in May 1922. When the nearby town of Tully was surveyed in 1924, the names on the Cardwell honour board were given as street names. The Cardwell Shire headquarters were transferred to Tully in 1929 where a new hall was built. In 1989, the hall became the JC Hubinger Memorial Library, honouring the long serving Shire Chairman. History repeated itself when Cyclone Yasi caused extensive damage to the hall in 2011. Restoration and repairs were completed and the hall reopened in October 2012.

Featured in this trail:

Coordinates: -18.2678413, 146.0297106

Full details of this heritage-registered place are in the Heritage register.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023