Skip links and keyboard navigation


15 Porter's Lane, Maleny

Add to favourites

Fairview in 1908 (Image sourced from Sunshine Coast Council Library, Image no. BRN434758).; Heritage Branch staff

Fairview in 1908 (Image sourced from Sunshine Coast Council Library, Image no. BRN434758).

Overlooking the new Maleny golf course is one of the oldest homes in the district. ‘Fairview’, better known locally as Pattemore house, dates to 1907. It was built of local pit-sawn beech for JR (John Robert) and Emily Pattemore. The family relocated from the central NSW coast following the 1902 drought. The Blackall Ranges held great promise because of its high rainfall and dairying potential. Sons Bill and Stan first came to the Maleny area to cut timber in 1906. Bill established a saw mill in partnership with ET Thynne, on Thynne’s property in Maleny, later operating a mill on the ‘Fairview’ property. Brothers Ernest and Albert followed in 1907. The brothers then purchased five properties; one for each brother and one for their parents. ‘Fairview’ was built for their parents. Emily contracted rheumatic fever and had to be cared for by two of her widowed daughters. She died aged 86 years in 1937. Her husband was feted locally as Maleny’s oldest man in 1941, when he reached the age of 91. JR Pattemore ran ‘Fairview’ as a dairy farm until his death in 1947. The Friends of Pattemore House now manage the property as a house museum.

Featured in this trail:

Coordinates: -26.75858986, 152.86400215

Full details of this heritage-registered place are in the Heritage register.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023