Skip links and keyboard navigation

Lion Brewery (former)

719-741 Flinders Street, Townsville

Add to favourites

Lion Brewery (former) from Flinders Street (2016); Heritage Branch Staff

Lion Brewery (former) from Flinders Street (2016)

Lion Brewery (former) from Flinders Street (2016); Paddy Waterson

Lion Brewery (former) from Flinders Street (2016)

Townsville Brewery employees in Armistice Day Parade (1918) State Library of Queensland; State Library of Queensland

Townsville Brewery employees in Armistice Day Parade (1918) State Library of Queensland

This imposing multi-storied brick building was built as the Lion Brewery in 1894. It is the only surviving 19th century brewery in Queensland. The brewery was designed by Brisbane-based architects JB Nicholson and ARL Wright for brewer Albert Lanfear and Townsville businessman Samuel Allen. Lanfear had family interests in brewing in Melbourne, having uncles who established the West End and Carlton breweries. Albert established the West End Brewery in Brisbane. Brisbane contractors Madsen and Watson constructed the Lion Brewery at a cost of 6500 pounds. The brewery began production in 1894. Problems with water availability and quality led to the brewery’s closure in 1898. Allen and Lanfear amalgamated with the (Charters) Towers Brewery to form Northern Breweries. The Lion Brewery was renamed Townsville Brewery but sales declined. By 1929, the building had been purchased by North Queensland Cool Storage Company for use as an ice works and cold storage facility. It was used as a warehouse for the United States Army during WWII. A few years after the end of the war, it became Eagers car showroom and offices. In 1988 the building was converted into a nightclub and in 2016 the property was converted to a health club and gym.

Coordinates: -19.26677633, 146.80919378

Full details of this heritage-registered place are in the Heritage register.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023