Skip links and keyboard navigation

Woody Island Lighthouses & Ancillary Building Site

Woody Island, Hervey Bay

Add to favourites

gas shed ; Heritage Branch staff

gas shed

North Bluff house pad; Heritage Branch staff

North Bluff house pad

Big Woody Island, off Urangan Point, has numerous structures relating to Queensland’s coastal navigation; in particular, negotiating entry to the Mary River. Twin timber lighthouses and a residence, designed by Colonial Architect Charles Tiffin were erected in 1866; one lighthouse and residence at North Bluff, the other lighthouse at Middle Bluff. A residence was built at Middle Bluff in 1868. The lighthouses became operational on 1 October 1867. Mariners were required to line up the lights to enter the channel. From 1870, a telegraph line linked the lights with Maryborough and the Sandy Cape Lighthouse on Fraser Island in 1903. Some telegraph posts remain. North Bluff was converted to gas in 1937. Middle Bluff Lighthouse was automated in 1959 and North Bluff was closed. The island was declared a National Park in 1960. Both keepers’ residences were demolished soon after, although remnant paving shows the site of the Middle Bluff residence. Middle Bluff operated on solar power between 1985 and 1987 and has been maintained as part of the Woody Island National Park. Other operational remnants include a signal mast on North Bluff, a rock-lined track, gas shed, pipeline and the 1883 grave of Sarah Hardie, the light-keeper’s daughter.

Coordinates: -25.30028812, 152.96814876

Full details of this heritage-registered place are in the Heritage register.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023