Skip links and keyboard navigation


Maytown Town Reserve and Palmer Goldfield Resources Reserve, Palmer

Add to favourites

Butcher's Creek oven, Maytown, 2003; EHP

Butcher's Creek oven, Maytown, 2003

Maytown paved road (2003); EHP

Maytown paved road (2003)

Maytown kerbing (2003); EHP

Maytown kerbing (2003)

Maytown - Chinese gateway (2003); EHP

Maytown - Chinese gateway (2003)

Maytown - tin hut (2003); EHP

Maytown - tin hut (2003)

The gold mining town of Maytown was established on the banks of the Palmer River in 1874. Gold was discovered here in August 1872 by William Hann, and after the publication of his report in early 1873, a prospecting party led by James Mulligan confirmed payable gold; the rush was on. The settlement was originally called Edwardstown, after a local butcher. By May 1878, it was changed to Maytown and had one of the largest Chinese populations in Australia. Chinese people organised most of the food and supplies for the goldfield. In 1876, there were three banks, twelve hotels, six stores, three bakers, three tobacconists and stationers, a butcher (Edwards), a lemonade manufacturer and a hospital. A provisional school opened briefly in February 1878. A newspaper, the ‘Golden Age’, commenced printing and a School of Arts opened. The town reserve contains a high concentration of building platforms and remnant footings. The main street features stone kerbing and channelling. Structural remains within the township itself include a baker's oven, telegraph poles, flagstone flooring, timber stumps at the site of the School of Arts, a Chinese temple site, and remnants of the former police station.

Featured in this trail:

Coordinates: -16.05066251, 144.29139185

Full details of this heritage-registered place are in the Heritage register.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023