Skip links and keyboard navigation

St Saviour's Anglican Church (former)

26 Hynes Street, South Johnstone

Add to favourites

St Saviour's Anglican Church (former) (2009); EHP

St Saviour's Anglican Church (former) (2009)

St Savior's South Johnstone dedication plaque (2009); EHP

St Savior's South Johnstone dedication plaque (2009)

St Savior's South Johnstone, side view (2009); EHP

St Savior's South Johnstone, side view (2009)

This small concrete building began life as St Saviour’s Anglican Church. It was built by the Brotherhood of St Barnabas and St Lawrence in 1939 and served the community of South Johnstone, which evolved around the South Johnstone Sugar Mill. When the mill opened in 1916, there were 100 farmers supplying sugar, and by 1930 this had grown to 300. The church was built at this time of high production. The choice of solid building materials was influenced by the 1918 cyclone in the district. The design for the church is thought to have come from the architectural practice of Arthur Brown of Cairns. Tenders were called in November 1937, and the church was officially opened on Palm Sunday, 2 April 1939, by Bishop Feetham of North Queensland. The church served the Anglican community through to the 1960s, when it was shared with other Christian denominations. The Lutheran Mission of Hope Vale used the church regularly before it was sold in 2003. The building no longer functions as a church and a number of changes have been made to the building. Today, a local construction company uses the building for training purposes.

Featured in this trail:

Coordinates: -17.5979054, 145.99486713

Full details of this heritage-registered place are in the Heritage register.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023