Skip links and keyboard navigation

Mossman Shire Hall and Douglas Shire Council Chambers (former)

8-14 Mill Street, Mossman

Add to favourites

Mill St Mosman ca. 1937 SLQ; State Library of Queensland

Mill St Mosman ca. 1937 SLQ

Mossman Shire Hall and Douglas Shire Council Chambers (former) (2012); Heritage Branch Staff

Mossman Shire Hall and Douglas Shire Council Chambers (former) (2012)

The two-storey building on the corner of Mill Street and Junction Road is not immediately recognisable as council chambers, however, the Douglas Shire Council occupied offices on the top floor. The Douglas Shire councillors had met in Port Douglas since 1880. Divisional boundary amendments in 1932 led to greater council representation in Mossman and the decision was made to relocate the office there. The council wanted to secure civic building funds under the Queensland Government Unemployment Relief Scheme. Design tenders were called in 1934, with Cairns architectural firm Hill and Taylor the successful tenderer. The new Douglas Shire Council building and Mossman Shire Hall opened in June 1937. There were four shops on the ground floor including a chemist and a café. The theatre east of the shops on Mill Street, included a fly tower, which allows for the hoisting of scenery, curtains and stage effects. Council offices were on the first floor. The installation of income-generating shops on the street level, and a public hall/theatre available for hire, helped meet the costs to the ratepayers. The Council occupied the building until 1996, and then relocated to new offices in Front Street. The hall is still used for community events.

Featured in this trail:

Coordinates: -16.45892596, 145.37438957

Full details of this heritage-registered place are in the Heritage register.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023