Skip links and keyboard navigation

Smithfield Chambers

235 Mary Street, Gympie

Add to favourites

Smithfield Chambers (2009); Heritage branch

Smithfield Chambers (2009)

The two storey rendered brick, classically designed Smithfield Chambers was built by mining secretary and sharebroker William Evan Thomas. He purchased the property adjacent to the Gympie Stock Exchange and engaged architect Leslie Gordon Corrie to design a block of offices and shops. Tenders were called in February 1895. Brisbane builder W Anthony was the successful tenderer at 2,500 pounds, excluding the strong room and doors. Thomas had already decided on the name ‘Smithfield Chambers’, reflecting one of Gympie’s most successful early mines. The building included two shops on either side of a central suite of offices facing the street. A clerk’s room and board room were at the rear. Each suite of offices had a strong room; with three of the original four remaining. When completed in 1895, Smithfield Chambers was one of the most prominent buildings on upper Mary Street and W E Thomas was the largest provider of mining secretarial services in Gympie. The building was refitted in 1922 to house the Gympie Stock Exchange Club, later known as the Gympie Club. It continued to be used by the club until 1963. The property includes the rare original earth closets and stables close to the rear laneway.

Featured in this trail:

Coordinates: -26.18842133, 152.65910922

Full details of this heritage-registered place are in the Heritage register.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023