Skip links and keyboard navigation

Morayfield State School

196-230 Morayfield Road, Morayfield

Add to favourites

Morayfield State School; Heritage Branch

Morayfield State School

Should you have the opportunity to visit the Morayfield State School, originally named the Caboolture National School, look for the tiny 1873 Richard Suter designed classroom in the centre of the campus. Suter was a private architect commissioned by the Queensland Board of General Education to produce a standard design for timber-framed schools. It was a low set rectangular structure with gable timber shingled roof, which was to include a front and rear veranda by 1873. His buildings displayed his typical outside studding, created by only cladding the interior to save money. Around 65 schools of this design were built up until 1875 and only three are known to have survived. As the area grew, another school was built at North Caboolture near the rail terminus. This led to the renaming of the original school as Caboolture South in 1889 and again renamed as Morayfield in 1907. Like other school buildings, larger windows were installed for better lighting in the 1920 and 30s. The original playshed dating to 1903 has been retained on the site, along with one mature fig tree; now surrounded with new school buildings.

Featured in this trail:

Coordinates: -27.10616077, 152.94679043

Full details of this heritage-registered place are in the Heritage register.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023