Skip links and keyboard navigation

Colinton War Memorial

cnr D'Aguilar Highway and Emu Creek Road, Colinton

Add to favourites

Colinton War Memorial, context, from NE. (EHP, 2016); Heritage Branch; EHP

Colinton War Memorial, context, from NE. (EHP, 2016)

Colinton War Memorial, Colinton, looking SW. (EHP, 2016); Heritage Branch; EHP

Colinton War Memorial, Colinton, looking SW. (EHP, 2016)

Located in a small road rest area off the D’Aguilar Highway is the Colinton War Memorial. This solitary sandstone and marble war memorial reminds us of the sacrifice made by small communities for their nation. The earliest war memorial of this monument type in Queensland, its stone honour board was a community initiative during 1916. Unveiled on 17 January 1917, the honour board was originally sited in front of the Colinton School of Arts building, to the north of the bridge over nearby Emu Creek. This memorial board designed by noted stonemason, Frank Williams of F Williams and Co of Ipswich, names 43 men from Colinton and the district, who had enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force by January 1917. All lived within five miles of the Colinton township. Of the 42 men whose lives have been traced. Seven died as a result of war service, 34 returned to Australia, while only 13 resettled in the Colinton district. The township of Colinton, established in 1906, has since died out, but the memorial remains a poignant reminder of the men and the township. It was moved to its current position in the 1970s as a result of a highway upgrade.

Featured in this trail:

Coordinates: -26.93034439, 152.32297758

Full details of this heritage-registered place are in the Heritage register.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023