Skip links and keyboard navigation

Moreton Bay - Redcliffe trail

Add to favourites

Photo of a place on Moreton Bay - Redcliffe trail

Redcliffe, overlooking the northern waters of Moreton Bay, has been a popular seaside township since the late 1880s. Today it is home to permanent residents rather than holiday makers. Redcliffe was the site of the first settlement in Queensland in September 1824. The settlement relocated to the Brisbane River in 1825. Redcliffe remained deserted until the 1860s when it was opened up for agriculture. During the construction of a railway from Brisbane to Sandgate, jetties were built at Woody Point and Shorncliffe. The railway opened in May 1882 and boats soon ferried passengers across to Redcliffe. By 1890 steamers were bringing 10,000 tourists annually. Redcliffe’s popularity continued into the early 20th century. The steamer ‘Koopa’ began a direct service between Brisbane and Redcliffe in December 1911. The Woody Point township grew and a WWI Memorial School of Arts was built in 1922. The Anzac Memorial Avenue of trees was planted between 1922 and 1925, along one of the earliest roads in Queensland, which linked Brisbane with Redcliffe via Petrie. This early road passed through some flood-prone areas. Engineer M R Hornibrook advocated the construction of a bridge linking Sandgate and Redcliffe. The Hornibrook Highway toll bridge opened in October 1935.

Redcliffe’s population tripled in the years 1933 to 1940. Bathing pavilions were built at Suttons Beach, Margate, Woody Point and Redcliffe jetty in 1937. The region’s prosperity is reflected in the 1941 art deco Redcliffe Town Council chambers. A reservoir and water tower opened concurrently. The provision of town water supported the establishment of a Fire Brigade Board, which built the Redcliffe Fire Station in 1949. The Hornibrook Highway played an important strategic role during the defence of Australia in WWII. Military convoys used the bridge and Redcliffe was a popular rest and recreation venue for Australian and American service personnel. Greek businessman Arthur Comino began building an arcade with a dance hall in 1942 to provide entertainment for the troops. Today, only the pylons of the Hornibrook Highway remain, along with a short section of the bridge at Woody Point, used for fishing. The two new bridges built in 1979 and 2010 allow residents to commute daily for work from this beautiful part of Queensland.


Listing 7 places within this trail.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023