Skip links and keyboard navigation

Henlein & Co (Best & Less)

408-410 Flinders Street, Townsville

Add to favourites

Henlein & Co, later the ES& A Bank (1920s), State Library of Queensland; John Oxley Library

Henlein & Co, later the ES& A Bank (1920s), State Library of Queensland

This building was a speculative investment by Henry Abbot in 1901, when he commissioned architects Eaton, Bates and Polin to design a shop. The architects had just established an office in Flinders Street, having relocated from Rockhampton, while also establishing an office in Brisbane. One of the architects’ best known works locally is the former Queens Hotel. Abbot’s two-storey shop was constructed by local builder Thomas Page. The first tenants were Henlein & Co, well-known local wine and spirit merchants. The company was formed by German Jewish brothers who had extensive business interests across North Queensland. The company eventually purchased the building in 1921. Henlein & Co were in liquidation by December 1924 and the property was sold to the English, Scottish and Australian (ES&A) Bank in July 1925. The bank then sold the property to Townsville’s leading home furnishing retailer, Carfoots, in 1954 and from 1976, retailers Best and Less owned and operated the retail space. The building continues to house a retail business.

Coordinates: -19.26129198, 146.81609069

Full details of this heritage-registered place are in the Heritage register.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last reviewed
1 July 2022
Last updated
28 February 2023